Friday, May 25, 2007

In Loving Memory

It's a privilege for the second generations of immigrant families to have close relations to grandparents from the homeland. And so it was a real blessing for my sister and me to grow up in the presence of my maternal grandmother, who came over from Taiwan and lived for extended periods with us during our childhood. She became my closest grandparent. And that's why it's been so difficult to accept the fact that she passed away less than a week ago.

I saw her last Christmas when she came to Illinois for a family reunion. Though we knew she had cancer, and that it was only a matter of time, no one thought that she would pass so quickly. In fact, just last month she took a trip to her hometown, Hangzhou, China. At age 85, she was remarkably active and strong.

But I'm glad that, when the cancer took over, it happened quickly. Though her final days were excruciating, I imagine she was able to think back upon recent memories of joyful reunions with her children and grandchildren. My own lasting memories of her are of that pleasant, jovial, and sprightly old woman. The one who loved to play cards and go on walks. The one who loved to cook for me and my friends. The one who could find amusement in every situation, whose contagious laugh could be heard even as she recounted stories of her difficult childhood. The one who was beautiful everytime I saw her. The one whom I am blessed to call Grandma.

I look forward, in faith, to the day I see her again in Heaven.


Grandma
April 20, 1922 - May 19, 2007

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry :/ I was very close to my grandfather and it was pretty tough for me when he passed away. I still get choked up and it's like, seven years later. Anyway, I'll keep your family in my prayers, and think it's lovely that you wrote such a touching post about her :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice memorial, Bry. She was a very special lady and a very special grandma. I miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm really sorry for your loss, but i'm glad that you keep sight of the hope for reunion. i'll be praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete