Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Stupid Morning

It happened again.

I woke up this morning feeling great. The sun was out, all was quiet in my house, and I felt well-rested.

A little too well-rested.
Because my alarm clock was silent.
And, while the sun wasn't truly out, the sky seemed at least a few shades of gray lighter than usual. This is Seattle, after all.

I rolled over to check my alarm clock, which stared back at me with its beady little display: "9:45AM." It sat there, mocking me in its cruel silence...

It was one of my all-too-frequent "Oh crap" wake-ups. Leaping off the bed, cursing myself for turning off my alarm in my sleep, thanking God that my company permits employees to flex their time, cursing myself that flextime only applies when there aren't meetings to miss (like today), momentarily wondering why Sonicare didn't program a special panic mode for shorter duration brushing of teeth, and then cutting corners on other morning processes which don't need elaboration here. (No, this did not apply to my putting on clothes.)

I finally made it into work, fully dressed, but ashamed and bracing myself for the mockery of my coworkers. In fact, if my coworkers were feeling particularly evil, our first conversation could've gone like this:

Me: Morning, guys.
Coworker 1: Morning, Bryan.
Coworker 2: Is it lunch time already?


Oh, but that conversation already occurred some time ago.

1 comment: