Sunday, February 11, 2007

Warm House

I really should be asleep by now, but I just enjoyed a weekend great enough to stay up late and post about. In fact, I might argue that I just enjoyed my best weekend in Seattle... I realize I haven't spent that many weekends here, due to numerous weekend trips and whatnot, but, still, this one was good.

Today marks exactly six months since the day I started work as a full-time professional. Two days prior to that was when I physically arrived in Seattle in order to sign and close on my condo in Everett. So, basically, I got here six months ago. And it took me until this weekend to thoroughly clean and organize my junk so that I could actually have guests over. And, at last, I did it.

First came the dogs, of course. They ate dog food. Then my (relatively new) friends James and Caleb came over on Saturday for dinner and games. We had pork fried rice and a chicken and bell pepper stirfry. I almost whipped out an egg drop soup, too, but didn't have enough time. After that we played cards (500) till almost 2am. It was my first time actually hosting and entertaining anyone here, and frankly, it was awesome.

Sunday was also great. The same James and another (relatively less new) friend, Nick, came over after church for a late lunch of Manhattan clam chowder and roast beef sandwiches. I went overboard with the ingredients and now have enough soup to last me the rest of the week. Sweet. Again we played 500, and I was temporarily tied at the winning score of 500, until I quickly got trampled by Nick in the tiebreaker round. Poop.

Anyhow, having people over this weekend was like having an extended, belated housewarming party. My house does feel like home now.

And there were other highlights to the great weekend. Like visiting the Bodies Exhibition in Seattle with my church community group. "I'll never look at salmon jerky the same again..." And driving past the most brilliant double rainbow I've ever seen (I guess that's one nice thing about the rain here...) while on our way to check out sailboats at the Everett harbor. And, most recently tonight, catching up with my dear friend Chinsan over AIM and laughing my head off.

Oh, and there was the musical worship at church earlier today. Let me tell you, one of the bands at Mars Hill, E-Pop, wrote arrangements of the hymns "Solid Rock" and "I'll Fly Away" that are so beautiful, it's ridiculous. "I'll Fly Away" is a song about death and a joyful return "to a home on God's celestial shore..."

Just a few more weary days and then I'll fly away
To a land where joy will never end, I'll fly away

I was moved to tears while singing the song today, and I assure you, even when a song hits so personally, I'm not usually a crier. The last time I recall was in 2004, at the old KCPC building (YAG service in the mortuary), singing "How Deep the Father's Love." Prior to that was at Urbana 2003, "Hope of the Nations." And prior to that was in 2001 while singing "The Lord Bless You and Keep You" for Kari's late father. This is rare, right?

I think if people played a song at my funeral, I'd like it to be the E-Pop rendition of "I'll Fly Away." Otherwise, Chris Rice's Untitled Hymn, "Come To Jesus." Both would be perfect for maximum waterworks. YES. Matt Redman's "Better Is One Day" would also do the trick. Perhaps not "Let Everything That Has Breath" (great song though it is). Unfortunately, it might get taken the wrong way at a funeral. Especially the "...praise the Lord" part. I, for one, would immediately think of "Ding dong, the witch is dead." Not quite the sort of legacy I would hope to leave...

All right, so I just wrote a fantastically underwhelming post with enough personal event narrative and limited-audience references to bore just about anyone. I'd try to salvage the post, but it's actually past 2:40am now and it is really time to go to bed, lest I die at work tomorrow.

("Let everything that has breath...")

3 comments:

  1. i still remember singing TLBY that morning so fondly, and i'm still grateful you all did it for me.

    and i always cry when i hear "come to jesus." it's such a beautiful song. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too many words. For that, maybe I'll promise to play "Heart of Worship" at your funeral. Or wedding. Or both. Oh wait, but then I would cry... in pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, Danny, so cruel... At least I'd be dead, but think of all the other audience members who would have to suffer through yet another repeat of the chorus?

    ReplyDelete