Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Sheer Incompetence

Today Everett got hit with some noticeable snow. It's really beautiful...I love the sight of barren tree branches covered in snow. What is not so beautiful, however, is the resulting traffic. A ten-minute drive turns into an excruciating hour of torture. Seattle drivers apparently cannot handle inclement weather and, as a result, drive exceedingly slow. Even in those situations, like going uphill, when they really need to accelerate. Never mind the fact that, if they were to go any slower, they'd lose traction and start sliding backwards. They would evidently prefer to hit the car behind them than to enable traffic flow. Their collective ineptitude is mind-blowing.

Of course, not everyone is that bad. I'll occasionally notice a capable and respectful driver. The one who signals, the one who passes on the left, the one who realizes that the point of the carpool lane is to reward those carpoolers with a faster lane of traffic. And just when I think that maybe there's hope in such a pathetic population of drivers, I spot the out-of-state license plate. I should've known.

I have to repent of my evil, commute-induced thoughts almost daily.

So today's random bout of snow has cancelled most of my evening plans. Forget the doctor's appointment, no cardio at the gym... I was even gonna go to a salsa club downtown, but the thought of the road conditions (and, more importantly, the traffic) prevented all of that from happening.

And so I spend this quiet weeknight at home alone. On the upside, I finally get to enjoy a nice, home-cooked meal. On the downside, I have to go make it first.

1 comment: