Monday, March 19, 2007

Fo' Pizzle My Nizzle

Yesterday I went to the 99 Ranch Market to buy Chinese groceries. It's always quite the experience being spoken at in more dialects/languages than I knew existed...and later learning some of that colorful vocabulary from the arguments that break out in the check out lanes.

Still more interesting, however, are all the findings in the store. It is a veritable museum of plant and animal species. Imagine pomelos bigger than my head (think grapefruit on steroids), durian fruit on sale (the experience of rotting garbage in your mouth - yum!), and types of meat you wish you never saw.

Oh yes, the "meat."

Yesterday at the meat department I caught sight of a single package tucked away in a corner labeled "Beef Pizzle." What is this beef pizzle?, my curious mind inquired. The fact that it was left by itself, untouched, should have been my first clue not to go pick it up. Through the cellophane, I could see it resembled sausage, but chopped into segments. And each cross-section revealed fully intact muscle tissue (i.e., not processed meat product), suggesting this was definitely not the typical sausage...at least not in the literal, culinary sense.

Ahem.

I had my suspicions confirmed when I Googled it today. And then I wanted to barf. Suddenly, eating fish heads, duck heart, and chicken feet seemed like child's play.

If you're still not sure what I'm talking about, Google it, and enjoy the experience of upchuck in your own mouth. Here's my favorite search result: Dog chews. "No two bulls are created equal, so girth of pizzle sticks may vary."

Ugh, do my people deem anything beyond the limits of consumption?

11 comments:

  1. Ah! I totally forgot you started a new blog! Shame on me.

    And shame on you for not telling me earlier when I had forgotten. You should work on that.

    *waves* just saying hello

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow... i was really hoping you were going somewhere else with that, but then... no... that's exactly what it was. groooooooss...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only there were a way to e-vomit all over your blog... then maybe you'd learn not to post this sort of rubbish again...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i KNEW that was coming!! could it really be that bad? maybe i could do it... for a price... =)

    o yeah, i forgot. i retired...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you all... It's absolutely disgusting. Seldom do I get grossed out by things on the internet, but after I performed that Google search, I knew I couldn't keep the disgust all to myself. Sharing is caring, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...wow....

    "are you done with that?"

    I'll take it if you don't =)

    I have a dog that would eat anything.

    And besides, it's good not to be wasteful, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah, that's my little bro for you. and shouldn't your title be: fo' shizzle my pizzle? ha. like i have the slightest clue what i'm talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey! My dogs like those!!!

    Dude, we have got to go to the store together! I need more excitement in my life and you sound pretty exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey dude, I went to 99 Ranch the other day and saw the same thing in the frozen food section! Beef Pizzle ... yeah, yummy yummy treats, the meat you love to eat .. Aieee! I ended up at your blog page after being morbidly curious about beef pizzle, so thanks for confirming my suspicions :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just wanted to let you know that I've discovered "beef pizzle" in Phoenix at the Chinese Cultural Center's "Super L Ranch Market." It was sitting right next to a couple "beef fries" in the frozen meats section.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah *lol* I know exactly what you're talking about *lol* I'm a regular customer of the 99 ranch market, and I experienced the same curiosity as you did when I 1st discovered "pizzle" on display in their frozen meat section...but after 5 seconds, I figured it out *lol* Think about it: the looonnnnng cylindrical shape of soft muscular boneless tissue (that's clearly NOT a tongue)that's SO long it had to be curled up to fit in the butcher tray? Think about it: even the NAME, pizzle, sounds like it could be a nickname for a male pee-pee *LOL* Do I think it's gross to serve up & eat pizzle? Totally. But then again, having a part like pizzle ground up and mixed in w/a bunch of other "scrap" animal parts and stuffed in hot dog casings (or chorizo skins) doesn't make it any less gross to me...But I suppose in some people's cases, ignorance is bliss *lol* I also hear pizzle is a common ingredient used to make chew treats for doggies...Hah!!! Imagine that!!! If you own a dog, chances are, you've given them bull wangs to put in their mouths to munch on *LMAO*

    Oh and BTW, everyone, it's true durians smell like hell, pomelo fruits are almost all rind *lol* In actuality, the fruit itself is the size of an orange, once you peel off the ridiculously thick rinds...and have any of you checked out the jackfruits they sell when they're in season??? Holy crap!!! They can literally grow to the size of small children, I kid you not! I just came from 99 ranch market today and right now it's *mmmmmm* dragonfruit season! Yum!!! I'm looking forward to the persimmons even more! :.P

    ReplyDelete